Sometimes we make matters more complicated than they need to be. We think that a product with a long list of ingredients is better than one with only a few of them.
However, when it comes to makeup, a good rule of thumb is – the best makeup products are the most natural makeup products. The more natural the elements, the better they are for your skin. There are more benefits to it, too. While you are not only kinder to your skin, you are kinder to the environment, too.
When you choose to think about the bigger picture, you are protecting the needs of others as well as yourself. Being kinder to the environment means more sustainability and a better planet for everyone.
Here are ways to make more conscientious choices when it comes to picking your makeup items. You’d be surprised how much of a difference such an everyday task can make.
The benefits of vegan products are vast. Your skin will improve when you start using makeup containing only natural, vegan components. Most organic ingredients have healing properties that work with your skin, ensuring the best care at all time.
Plant-based or mineral ingredients are some of the common natural ingredients you will find when looking at vegan makeup. Usually, if there are natural ingredients in a product, then they list them first.
The tricky part is that often natural ingredients are named using their more scientific name. So it can be a bit daunting at first.
The best way to understand which items on the list are natural is to start by using a cosmetic dictionary until you are more familiar with the names. Also, some brands will state 100% natural on the product itself.
Once you know the scientific names, you will be more comfortable identifying each of them when you are out shopping. You can also look for the label that shows the Vegan Society approves the product. While not every single product may have this logo, it is wise to check first.
Do keep in mind that products that are 100% natural will not have the same shelf-life as the more synthetic makeup items. This is because the ingredients that go in it are natural and fresh.
While this may seem like a drawback at first, think of it this way. You won’t be using a product for years, allowing it to hurt your skin, as you will be more mindful of checking the expiration date.
Ingredients you should look out for can range from extracts to oils. If you run into any of these, you’re on the right path.
- Certain oils like coconut, argan and brazil nut oils are natural and safe to use.
- Extracts of chia seeds or oat bran extracts are also popular, and you might see them pop up in makeup products.
- Jojoba is also a fantastic ingredient. The botanical oil created from the jojoba mimics the oil that is naturally found in your skin. You will be left with a beautiful, balanced, and glowing complexion.
- Another popular ingredient is bamboo. Bamboo has natural antiseptic elements and can soothe and calm irritated skin. You may often find this in foundations and finishing sprays.
- From the water comes the algae extract. Red algae specifically contain elements that help to neutralize free radicals on your skin. This can make you look younger and protects the skin by shielding it from the harmful rays of the Sun.
Oil-Based or Water-Based Products?
Over and above the ingredients themselves, certain makeup products are oil-based, and certain products are water-based. It is better to go for oil-based products, especially if going natural is critical for you.
Peace Of Mind
Both the Vegan Society and PETA have lists of recommended brands available on their websites, and those get updated regularly.
These comprehensive lists provide detailed information around which brands are approved by the vegan society as well as which brands have received the cruelty-free certification.
If you are ever in doubt, you can visit either of these websites for peace of mind to make sure that the brand you are supporting is both vegan and cruelty-free.